Designer jewelry can be so expensive! I am always looking for ways to achieve a designer look for less. This week I was inspired to explore beading. I did so in an unconventional way though. Rather than beading on string, I used safety pins and I achieved this stylish look.
Here are your step-by-step directions!
What you’ll need:
- small beads (Looking for specific beads? Check out DesignerBeads)
- safety pins
- elastic string
- clear nail polish (to seal off the tie of the string)
1. Start with your open safety pin (be careful not to poke yourself) and put beads on the open end.
Do this until you have around 40 beaded safety pins.
2. Then, cut two pieces of the elastic string. I cut mine about 8 inches long; you want to make sure you have enough left over string to tie the knot once all the safety pins are on.
3. String one of the pieces of string through one end of all the safety pins. Make sure you use the same end for all the safety pins.
Then, do the same with the other piece of string on the other end of the safety pins.
4. Then, tie the two ends of the first string together and the two ends of the second string together. You’ll then have something like this.
5. Now the easy part. Tie your knots a few times, to be sure they won’t come apart. Then cut your excess string.
6. Last, seal your knots with a drop of clear nail polish.
Now you’ve made your own designer knock off! You’re sure to get a lot of compliments when you wear this beauty!
Want some more beading inspiration?
Have you done any safety pin crafts recently? I am looking for some more safety pin jewelry. If you find any, or make some on your own, let me know. I love to see others creative juices flowing!